Sunday, December 12, 2010

Since then...

  • My doctors put me on bed rest starting on November 18th because of extreme swelling in my legs and feet. (I had gained over 6 pounds of excess fluid in a week, and it was all pooling below my knees and in my feet.
  • The following Tuesday, November 23rd, I went in for a scheduled NST and doctor's appointment. During my NST, the tech asked me if I was feeling any contractions, and I said I that I was feeling some tightening but nothing painful. She informed me that I was contracting every 6 minutes. Since (luckily) my doctor's office is actually IN the hospital where I was having my NST done, they called the doc and she came down to do a cervical exam on me. Cervix was still closed and long - no progress. She told me to just go up after my NST/AFI were done and have the nurses do my urine sample/weight/bp and I would be good to go. 
  • I went up to do the urine sample/weight/bp and my bp was something like 174/100. They had me lay down and tested me again after a few minutes. It was still crazy high, so they sent me to triage. In triage, my bp went up to something crazy like 184/109. They gave me two IV doses of Labetalol and my lower bp number went down some, but they decided to admit me for 24 hours to observe my bp and have me do a 24h urine. 
  • Bp was fine once I was admitted, and my 24h urine protiens came back normal, so they let me leave, just in time for a family Wednesday-before-Thanksgiving-Dinner tradition. I was super happy! They had me start taking Procardia for the BP, too. 
  • Next doc appointment was Friday, December 3rd. BP was still crazy high, but instead of admitting me, they just had me up my Procardia dosage. 
  • Tuesday, December 7th, I had my last growth ultrasound and Logan measured at 8lb 3oz +/- 19 oz. NST and AFI were both great. 
  • Thursday, December 9th, I went in for another regular doctor's appointment. Guess what? BP was still crazy high, even after upping my Procardia. Second verse, same as the first - they sent me to triage (where my ditz nurse almost blew a vein trying to get my IV in my hand and then after she failed to get it, told me "I'm losing all my confidence in my IV skills! I haven't been able to do one in weeks!" Thanks, lady.) and then ended up admitting me for another 24H urine. They told me that if my proteins came back over 300, they would probably induce me at 37 weeks (which was yesterday).
  • Proteins were fine (as usual, darn it!), so talk of inducing me went out the window. By this point, it was Friday evening and I hadn't heard from my doctor since early that morning. The Hubs and I were getting super frustrated that no one was telling us what the plan was, or even if there WAS a plan. Finally someone told me that I would be staying at least Friday night for more observation and to monitor the migraine I had developed. They also mentioned that there was a possibility that they would keep me in the hospital until I had Logan naturally or until they induced me at 39 weeks (Christmas Day). At this point, I flipped out, but really didn't have any choice in the matter. 
  • Yesterday, I continued to get more and more frustrated because we hadn't heard from my doctor (still) and didn't know if I was staying through the course of the pregnancy, or if they were going to let me go home. Finally around 2pm, my doctor wanders in the room and says "I checked the schedule. How would you feel about doing an amnio on Wednesday and inducing Wednesday night or Thursday morning if his lungs are good?" Um, yes please!
  • So they let me leave the hospital yesterday afternoon, and now The Hubs and I are scrambling to get as much ready as possible so that we're prepared to potentially have this kiddo out by the end of the week! (And, of course, this morning I lost my mucous plug, so now we may be having him even sooner than that! I hope not!!!)
There's your update. Of course, I'll update after we have some more definite plans, or have a baby, which ever comes first!

No comments:

Post a Comment