Sunday, July 18, 2010

Week 16: No-mans land.

Today is 16w1d.

Our second attempt at the NT ultrasound was a bust. I was the first appointment of the day. We walked in, I laid down, she squirted the goop, found the dude/dudette, did some quick measurements and determined that our baby was too big to do the test. And that was it. I was 13w5d measuring at 14w3d. No NT scan for us. The good news is that I got a call from the genetic counselor the next day, and she gave us our risk ratios. For Down's Syndrome, our risk is 1:2500, which went down from 1:700 just going off my age. Our risk for Trisomy 13 and Trisomy 18 was 1:10,000, which is basically the lowest risk you can measure. So yay for that.

My monthly appointment was a general waste of time, as usual. The perinatologists office is trying to force me to visit with all 8 doctors in the practice, and I hate it. I saw Dr. Habli for my first, like, 4 visits and I like her. This time, I had a different lady, who I just didn't "click" with. I'm sure she's a fine doctor, but she wasn't very nice and personable. I hope against hope that she's not the lady that ends up with me when I'm in labor.

At any rate, at this last appointment, we talked about how I'm feeling and she tried to find the baby's heartbeat with a Doppler, but I guess the wiggleworm was moving around too much. This meant we got to do another super quick ultrasound on their awesome US equipment. It's gotten to the point now that Baby B is big enough to see clearly with the abdominal US even though there's still a little too much ovary squishing for my taste. She found him and we got to listen to his heartbeat for a few seconds. It sounded good! Then she showed me where his head was and how he was laying. This time around, the kiddo had both arms up with hands behind his head and one leg crossed over the other. It's five o'clock somewhere - apparently in my uterus. I'm glad I could make such a comfy little home for the kiddo. LOL.

The OTHER thing that happened at this appointment wasn't quite as fun. They had to catheterize me to get a urine sample. Yep, you read right. No, I don't have a problem peeing in a cup (or on my hand as the case may be), but apparently there are too many skin cells in my urine sample for the lab to get a good culture from. What does this mean? It means that if they need a urine sample for any reason over the next 5 months, I get a catheter. Woo flippin' hoo.

I had never had a catheter before, and I wasn't exactly looking forward to it. Luckily, the nurse there (whom I love!) was awesome about answering my questions and trying to explain exactly what I would feel. She did the procedure and then I was free to go. Fun.

My next montly appointment is on August 2nd, and then we find out the sex on August 16th!!! That's why I feel like I'm in no man's land right now. The newness of the whole thing has worn off, but we aren't to the point yet where we can plan and buy anything. I'm through the majority of my testing and extra doctor's appointments. I don't feel or look pregnant, and I find myself forgetting that I am at points throughout the day. It's just there. I know I am pregnant, but there's nothing really going on with it. It's boring.

So that's where we are, which is nowhere. Baby's growing, hopefully not TOO much. I still look pretty much the same. The Hubs is, well, The Hubs. And that's it. Unless something interesting happens, I probably wont update until after my next monthly appointment, and then definitely when we find out the sex.

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment