Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Week 6

So, Week 6 has been interesting. Mainly because I've been teaching myself (via trial and error) how to shoot up insulin three times a day, which has been an adjustment to say the least.

I have several bruises on my belly and a gazillion little red spots where I've impaled myself. It's fun times, let me tell you. What I don't understand about it is that one location on my belly can be virtually painless while another location just centimeters away is completely painful. How am I supposed to know?! It's such a craps shoot as to whether I'll completely forget about the shot right after I leave the bathroom, or I'll be rubbing my belly for the rest of the day.

Yesterday I had a little insulin adventure... I was getting ready to give myself my dinner insulin shot, and there are sterilization caps on both the plunger part and the needle. I took the cap off the plunger, and went to take the cap off the needle and my hand slipped. The cap came off, and the needle plunged straight into my pinky! I was bleeding and bleeding and bleeding and I still had to give myself insulin, so I had to wrap my finger as good as I could, find a band aid, unwrap it one handed, wrap it around my finger one handed, throw out the needle that I jammed into my finger (because I had slightly bent the tip), pull of both caps of the new needle (VERY carefully), load the insulin and give myself a shot. All while bleeding profusely through a bandaid on one finger.

Adventures with Insulin, starring Mrs. B.

_______________

Other than the insulin follies, being pregnant this week has mainly consisted of fatigue, shortness of breath, sore boobs, and hot flashes. The heartburn has subsided mostly, except for sometimes when I lay down at night. And really, the only symptom that is having any effect on my is the fatigue. I mean, I know I'm fat, but I should be able to walk from my car to the front doors at work without feeling like I climbed Mt. Everest. It's ridiculous!

As far as that crazy list from before, I'm feeling a teeny bit less overwhelmed by it. I scheduled my EKG for tomorrow morning, and I'll do the kidney/liver blood work and turn in my 24 Hour Urine test on Monday. I'm doing the insulin shots and surviving, and I'm doing the best I can with sticking to the carb-counting 3 meals/3 snacks every 2-3 hours thing. That is by far the hardest thing to get used to.

As for the fun parts of pregnancy - The BFF gave me the sweetest Mother's Day card and an "I Love Mommy" bib. It is totally cute. And The Hubs and I get to start telling the grandparents this weekend! I can't wait to tell them all and not have it be a secret anymore. (Well as much of a secret as it can be when the only people who don't know are the grandparents! lol).

My Sonotrax-B fetal doppler came in the mail yesterday from Amazon. The Hubs and I both tried to find little B's heartbeat, but did not succeed. I was sure we wouldn't be able to yet, since I'm overweight and he's the size of a lentil bean. Hopefully someday soon in the next few weeks I'll be able to track it at home and be comforted by the wooshwooshwooshing.

Also in the package from Amazon was the "The Expectant Father" audiobook that I bought for The Hubs. He's in a car about 3 hours a day, so I figured it would be a great idea to get him a "Father-to-Be" book that he could listen to, rather than try to find the time to read. He's listened to a little bit so far, so hopefully he likes it.

Guess that's about all that is going on in little B's world right now. Hopefully he's swimming around safely and growing like a healthy little weed!

No comments:

Post a Comment